Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I report a code violation/complaint?

Gaston County handles all code violations and complaints. You can report a code violation online as well as in their office located at 128 W Main Avenue in Gastonia.

Where can I get a zoning permit or information on zoning?

Gaston County handles all zoning for the City of High Shoals. For more information, please contact Gaston County Zoning

For Permit Applications:

Can I set up services online for water/sewer/sanitation?

Yes you can. Please go to or you can click the Pay Online button (yellow with blue lettering) and click on *Get a license or Permit*.

You can also choose to have your bill payment drafted for NO EXTRA fee! The Autodraft for direct payments via ACH form is available here:

Can I report an issue?

You can report any issue within the city by clicking the Pay Online button and click the first option Report an Issue. This is the quickest way for us to streamline any issues. This also will give you the option to submit photos and a GPS location to aid us in getting our maintenance crew to you with the correct equipment, addressing the issue as quickly as possible.

Can I report a Crime?

All tips submitted to CrimeStoppers of Gaston County are anonymous. No one knows your name. If the information you provide leads to an arrest, you may be rewarded with up to $1,000. You can text or call that number.

Can I contact my council members?

You absolutely can! All council members’ phone numbers are located under the GOVERNMENT tab on our website under *Directory*.

Can I come to a council meeting?

Absolutely! We would love for you to join at the meetings! The Council meets every month at 6:30pm on the second Tuesday of each month!

May I speak at the council meetings?

Absolutely! The council welcomes any and all residents to speak and address the council! There is a sign-up sheet located on the podium in the Council Room; however, the Mayor always welcomes anyone who doesn’t sign up but is in attendance to address the council.

I think there is illegal activity near me, what do I do?

Anytime you notice suspicious behavior, please contact Gaston County Police Department. 704-866-3320 If you feel you are in immediate danger, please call 911!

How do I contact the fire department?

You can call the North Gaston Volunteer Fire & Rescue department by calling 704- 732- 0818

You can email the Fire Chief at [email protected] or find them online at

**Please Note that North Gaston Volunteer Fire & Rescue is its’ own entity and the City has no control over the department**